Well, glory be! This time, I am actually able to post to the blog. I'm not going to question how or why this particular attempt was special and worked, I will only suggest that the cosmos is choosing to shine its light upon me and this revelation:
Laura Branigan is going to make a comeback in 2007, mark my words. Oh shit..I literally just followed that link, I had no idea she died three years ago. Geez, I feel like a total tool. I really had no idea. I was sitting in the parking lot today in front of a suburban Maryland Barnes and Noble and her song Self-control came on and I was like, man, I totally fucking loved Laura Branigan back in the day. Hello, Gloria? I played that damn 45 record (yes) over and over again. Seriously, those tumultuous junior high days were all about Laura Branigan (and then, high school was all about Prince, but that's another story for another day). I just can't believe I either didn't know or forgot she died. Wow. I guess the cosmos isn't shining that hard on me. Damn. RIP, Laura, RIP.
This does allow me the opportunity to tell you about my iPod misadventure/heartbreak/meltdown/partial revival. Which I know no one cares but me and the people who love my sanity, but bare with me. I won't go into boring details about this new laptop and how iTunes' default setting is autosync with your library and how my library only contained 183 songs I had purchased while my iPod had over 1400+ songs I had imported from CD and then gave some of those CDs away to friends because why would I need them now and you know I had to switch computers and all my stuff was on my iPod and I was happy and no I didn't back that shit up it matters not because what was done was done. So in Cleveland, I borrowed some of M's cds and imported them to add to my iPod (e.g., two Sleater-Kinney cds (holla 3from60!), a Rusted Root (don't judge), and Squirrel Nut Zippers (good old timey speakeasy music!). Later that night, after some hottubbing and some beverages and stuff, I went to play my iPod on their stereo and discovered in horror that everything on my iPod had been replaced with my iTunes library (i.e., 183 songs) and thus, lost 1200+. Needless to say, I was crushed. Seriously. If you could have seen/heard me...not a pretty sight. I actually might have cried.
So I was in denial for a while about this whole situation. I refused to believe it was true. I could not even deal with the idea of having to A) remember and reimport all that I had on there and B) see A. So here is where I tell you about the wonders of ilolo technologies Search and Recover 4 software (available at your finer Staples stores). I had tried some lameass file recovery program I downloaded for free off the internet but to no avail. This program fucking worked (caveat: for the most part, I will return to this point later). It was easy to use and I'm going to try to get my 2006 pictures back that I deleted as well. I highly recommend it.
The only downsides (and there were two) were that I didn't exactly get everything back from my iPod's deleted file/memory. In some cases, I got the whole CD and every song on it (yea!), in other cases, I got only a few tracks from a whole CD (awww). The other downside is that it took the program, literally, about 6 hours to recover the files. I just let it run on its own and went to bed. The next morning, I was able to import all those recovered files into iTunes library and we are almost good to go. Now I just have to replace a few songs here/there. Trust me, I am not complaining, esp since I was the dumbass who got suckered into that default autosync thing. Seriously, that is a major black hole to fall into so beware if you have different computers for your iTunes library or like me, you don't back shit up. Lesson fucking learned, iPod, lesson learned.
And this is the point where you are wondering why you even care about my excruitatingly detailed dorkfest. You are not alone, I'm with you, sister. I'm just so damn happy that blogger's letting me post again (for now). Fear the cosmos!
Now I am off to download Gloria, in memoriam. Because, you know, if everybody wants you, why isn't anybody callin', you don't have to answer, leave 'em hangin' on the li-ine, oooohhhoooh....
ps. Also giving a long-distance shout-out to someone across time/space! Hang in there just a little longer...
3/28/2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Viva Laura, viva Gloria! (If I were the missus, I'd do some clever Latin-esque punning on Gloria, but right now I got nothin'.)
I'm sorry about your iPod mishap! Why that mercurial little white bitch! That is my worst nightmare. Darling, the next time you come visit, you'll have to peruse my CDs and if there is anything I can burn for you (and you know I do burn for you, so much so that I had to get a prescription drug to abate my misery) I shall do it!
p.s. Did you try to call us last night?
Sweetie, I did warn you about The Itch and Burn when we were at Yaddo. You insisted, and what could I do but give in to you and the Mrs. It's not my fault Bjorn was careless and I was naive.
ps. No, now I wish I had though! I promise, your call will come soon. I'm going out tomorrow and you know how that goes!
Dude, shit, you ARE alive! Hello?
I should be petulant and mock you for doing the total n00b thing of "auto-sync". I mean, really, who does that??
:deep, cleansing breath:
... but I'll be nice.
Funny thing about Branigan's Gloria: A coupla weeks ago I went on a must-have-every-version-of-Gloria ever-recorded jag. At first I just meant the original 'Gloria' (by The Them) but then I thought it would be FUNNY to have Branigan's Gloria, and from there it progressed to U2's (which I couldn't believe I didn't have). SOOOO, at that time I, too, was reminded that Fraulein Branigan's brain had burst. Very sad.
Patti Smith did a wicked version of Gloria. Find it.
-cheet
cheet: Believe me, on the ipod thing, I felt like a total loser. I am serious when I say I cried. ps. I love Patti's version of Gloria, I don't have it but I shall go and find! How you?
Hey, so which two albums was it you borrowed, and how do you like them?
3from60
3/60: I got Dig Me Out and The Hot Rock and I haven't had a chance to really listen carefully. I will though..and I know I also owe you an email!
Hey! Look what washed up in the surf!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mIsN2JHPds
cheet: Gotta love Patti!
Post a Comment