3/21/2007

Your Crab Cake

Well, I am here. I will say no more on the subject other than to report that I have located the nearest liquor store (closed on Sundays in Maryland, fyi) and have purchased wine in a box. That should get me through the rough transition of, you know, moving here. At least until this Saturday when I must stock up because who wants to be boozeless on the Sabbath? Not I. Actually, that whole no liquor on Sunday business reminds me a little of Kansas, until you know, they rejected the notion of blue laws as ridiculous and outdated. I shall now attempt to end what could become something annoying which is: comparison shopping by state. I am now officially resolving never to say things like "Well, back where I came from, you could buy Diet Pepsi by the case for $5, here's it's sold only in 12 packs for the same damn price!" The price of beef reamins unchanged from my last visit and remarkably high. Maybe it's time for me to stop eating things with faces. Excluding of course, girls and such.

I am now proclaiming this blog free of nostalgic reminiscences of the Wild West Days and instead focus on the good things about The Crab. I will not be a bitter relocated malcontent. I will not be a whiny Midwestern transplant to the heartless cruelties that face me on the east coast. I vow to find the good in this state. Here is the first of what I am sure will be many many: The nice suburban mom in Safeway who informed me that Kelly's Liquors is just down the road about two miles and that if you really need booze on Sundays, you can get it as packaged carrout from restaurants (though it will be 3X as expensive). So thank you, Mrs. Suburban Maryland Mom. You have restored my faith that my time here will be full of pleasantries and bountifully helpful individuals.

11 comments:

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Wha-hey babes...no selling of booze on Sunday! Ah...who...sigh. That just makes a gal want to drink...more. Like it makes me think, is there a shortage of booze?
I remember in LA...gas was in short supply, mom and dad bought gas on even or odd days. So buy lots..buy tons of it, before it's all gone, then you will know the true meaning of chaos. It's not a pretty picture, babes.
Sweetie, babes, on the down low...if you get to that point, God forbid. Let me know, I'll ship some from my very own stock in a box labeled...Bibles. later sweets.

Anonymous said...

LN...come one, give the new place a real chance! Turn that frown upside down. Don't be so crabby! Ooops sorry, couldn't help myself.

I've lived plenty of places some better than others, but I'm glad for them all. The crappy places made me appreciate the nicer ones that much more! Plus I've been pleasantly surprised a couple of times.

There's lots of misery coming through your humor...bottom line....try to give the new place a real chance...I know you know this. You're setting you and your sweetie up for misery if you don't. Sorry for sounding preachy, but I see potential disaster ahead.

riese said...

once in oklahoma, i drank wine out of a box. then i lost my virginity. let that be a lesson to you about boxes, wine, sex, oklahoma, etc.

that being said.

is it almaden?

El N said...

Spikey: Just as backup, send the Bibles! You know I love my scriptures..

Mrs V: I know I sound quite crabby, it's just a passing phase as I get readjusted. You know this move was not my idea, but alas, we must buck up. However, I would also like to add that about 80% of my misery yesterday was caused by the riding-of-the-cotton-pony today. You of all people would cut me some PMS slack, I know! How you feeling by the way? I understand you were under the weather..

Win: It's Corbett Canyon Pinot Grigio. I have no shame. Bring on the virgins!

vivvy said...

It's a period of adjustment, but I think you'll be fine, sweetie, once you settle in. My first year in NYC was tough. And look at me now, afraid to venture even to Staten Island and thinking nothing of paying over $3 for a half-gallon of milk!

p.s. Mrs. is on drugs (again) and we are all the happier for it.

Anonymous said...

Ahem! This is Mrs. Viv here ... and I want to let all the above know that that "anonymous" is really, well, someone anonymous (and I'm sure a quite nice person, too).

I have nothing to say, but welcome to the friggin' East Coast and when can we get together and drink?

Feeling a bit better today, except I had to go back to work.

the REAL Mrs. Viv

trendy_haircut said...

good god....what a euphemism for 'the curse'.
'The curse' is so much creepier really.
Hey there will be good things coming in Baltimore. You know it.

El N said...

Mon dieu! I have too many anonymous peeps, name yourselves!

Anon #1: Even though you aren't apparently Mrs V, I would nonetheless expect you to cut me the same slack wrt "the curse". I am feeling much better today, thank you, so that frown is now upside down just for you, whoever you may be.

Viv: Save the good drugs for Baby, don't let her have them all!

Mrs V: I'm glad to hear you are up/around. I took note of mileage today and NYC is only 200 miles upstream so we will be drinking and watching boy porn together sooner rather than later!

t-h: Yes, and thank fucking god for Baltimore. Never thought I'd say that but yes and yes.

I have now officially written more in this comment section than in the original entry. This calls for a celebration (cracking open that wine box now) because apparently in Maryland, I am 2X as chatty with 4X less to say!

Anonymous said...

That's right, Sweetie! It's a short 3 1/2 hour drive to visit your homies in Brooklyn! Vivvy makes a mean chocolate martini ... it's all just waiting for you. Come soon - I need more reasons to recover.

Mrs. Viv

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Babes...chocolate martinis waiting for you in Brooklyn. Yum, drink one for your peep out here in the west coast. Make that a sugar free chocolate martini. Oh and the booze...I mean your order of Bibles are on the way. Ciao.

Dorothy Snarker said...

It’s going to take me a bit to get over you calling your new home The Crab. I keep adding an “s” to the end and, clearly, no good can come of that. Rejoice in the blue laws. It’s just like college. I can’t tell you on how many Saturday nights I was roused from a Rumplemintz chased with Rolling Rock stupor by a panic-stricken friend only to realize, DUDE, we’re out of alcohol! It’s 2 a.m.! Expletive deleted! Expletive deleted!! Expletive deleted!!!