5/17/2009

Orzo-licious

In honor of it being almost summer and because I wanted to cook, here's a recipe for an orzo summer salad that I'm making right now.

1 cup orzo
1 red pepper - diced
2-3 sun dried tomatoes
minced parsley
diced green onion
handful toasted pine nuts
olive oil
feta cheese
salt/pepper

Boil orzo with diced peppers in the water to cook (because I like my peppers cooked vs raw - sue me!). Toast pine nuts in tiny bit of olive oil while orzo is cooking (watch those nuts carefully, they will burn in a heartbeat, FYI).

Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Toss in pine nuts, diced sun-dried tomatoes, minced parsley, diced green onions and dress with good olive oil. Salt/pepper to taste. Put crumbled feta on top and mix. Cover and put in fridge for an hour. Very tasty cold summer salad and easy to make potluck dish for all you potlucking lesbians/other people out there.

Do it, you know you want to.

ETA: Finished product (sans feta cheese since I discovered my stash of feta had gone bad, so I added a bit of parmeggiano reggiano instead, but I assume the feta would be just as yummy):



ETA ps: This would be a perfect dish if one were still on a farm in Kansas (or pretending to still be there) or if one were coming off a 10-day lemon water cleansing thing or if one were hosting a house full of Orzonians as one is wont to do in these troubled times. I don't even know what I'm saying anymore, time to dig in!

2 comments:

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Sweetie babe, My mouth was watering as I read the recipe.

Yes...I want to.

Yes...I have to.

I'm making it tomorrow. thank you sweetie...I'll be back to let you know what I think of it. Sound yummy though.

Sweetie...are you missing Kansas? My brother moved to Nebraska from Kansas. He is a big Chiefs fan.

Later honey. Have a wonderful weekend.

w... said...

My new favorite recipe. Although I think there has been a consensus re: basil leaves over parsley.
(I've been squeezing in some lime juice and going a bit crazy with the sun dried tomatoes with wonderful results)
Also romano is a good cheese option.
ps...hi.