2/06/2010

I am the heartland

Ah indeed, DC experienced a very lovely pile-up of snow this weekend. It's quite amazing actually and very pretty. I haven't gone outside at all except to take some pix and check things out. Alas, my dogs are up at their other mother's due to my week-long work hell so I'm missing them quite a bit. I'll go get them as soon as I'm able. I also had to cancel a scheduled massage today which kinda sucks.

But all in all, I am not complaining. I'm not complaining about the 10-12 hour days I put in last week or the fact that I schmoozed myself out being nice to all kinds of people or that I had to prep and give a talk in front of many of those people or that I had to deal with some very bullshitty corporate drama. I care not about such things and you may be asking yourself why? Why does she not give a whit about the hell that Metro was all week or that she slept a max of 6 hours every night? Why does this woman not give one shit about what is happening in this city and the millions of people who call it home?

Well, it is now safe to say (because it is a done deal/100%/no one can take it away from me) that I am finally getting out of here. A job came through back home and I am taking it. Trust, I am taking the shit out of that job and not looking back. Goodbye for-profit bottom line bullshit. Goodbye Metro hell! Goodbye too many people, awful traffic, and politics permeating every single conversation. I shall not miss you!

And this is happening fast. Like in several weeks. So that means I gotta get my shit together ASAP. But do I care? Hells no, because I get to be happy again and get to be me again and get to have a life again. With friends! And open spaces!

There will be much to repair after this experience. Not all of my time here was awful and certainly I wouldn't be in a position to take this job had I not come here and had the experience I had. It was a necessary road on the journey. However, I've got to do a lot of stuff to fix the damage - mentally, emotionally, physically - from living here and being the person I became. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I was waterboarding people (though I did entertain the notion on a few occasions). I just was having to play a game that takes a bunch out of you at the end of the day. No more!

And so, as a bunch of snow covers up the ugly and makes this city pretty for a short period of time, I am already visualizing home. It looks a lot like this:

2 comments:

vivvy said...

Hurrah, huzzah, and congrats, sweetie! While I will miss having you relatively close by for our impromptu mimosa meetings, I'm really happy you will be back home soon. (We'll chat soon--I want the skinny on the job, so I can rest assured you are not working at the Dairy Queen.)

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Hi honey. I'm so happy you'll be back home. You know exactly what makes you happy. :0)

I envy you sweetie pie.

I can't wait to see you repaired and settled in.