4/29/2007

Junior High School Confidential

Man, here's a piece of advice. If you ever make your way into DC to check out the museums, avoid Saturdays during the school year. Apparently, every junior high in the surrounding area decided to have their field trip to the Smithsonian hot spots this weekend. I know this because I bumped into no less than ten 12-year olds who were forced to take notes about they-don't-even-care-what. They were also attempting to negotiate that awkward space between being cool and being a dork. It's a fine line and one that is made infinitely harder when you are forced to wear matching color-coded tshirts with your school name on the front and "DC Field Trip '07!" on the back. Oh those Jr High days, huh? I just wanted to see some damn rocks and shit.

Yeah, so this weekend has been a long restless one. A nice long conversation with Vivvy on Fri helped keep me out of the local drinking establishment "ubby's iner" (the neon had given up the ghost on some of the letters in the sign, alas). I also watched two men piss in the parking lot so yeah, thank you sweetie for saving me from myself. And ubby's. (And also thank you for your fabulous Harper Lee story. This is why you are my hero. That and your dead-on impersonation of Charles Nelson Reilly.)

Saturday was of course all about the Smith (as I like to call it). Today the dog park (we found one on the east side of town) and yes, I finally mowed the damn grass. In between those activities, I have been wandering here/there all restless and whatnot. Clearly, I need to occupy my time 24/7 before I start down the path of cheap motels and even cheaper booze. I kid, but yeah, I've got to get my shit situated. Oh, to be 12 again! Not.




5 comments:

vivvy said...

I had fun chatting with you, darling. You saved me too, you know, as I despaired of the Yankees' tanking once again....

I have no idea what that first photo is. Looks like glasses of sangria moored on a lumpy shag rug. This is the Smithsonian??? Yech.

And I'm glad you liked the Harper story...enjoy it before I get sued!

El N said...

This is the Smithsonian??? Yech.

Bah humbug to you sweetie! You head over to the Freer and Sackler and leave me to my pretty rocks and fossils!

ps. That's not sangria, that's Chambord and Absinthe with a touch of Midori: Our drink of choice in 72!

Anonymous said...

Off topic, but speaking of junior high: That log scene was my favorite, too. Oh Swayze, what kind of mad powers do you hold over us gay ladies.

El N said...

Ms Snarker: No one need know of our secret. It is safe on the internets!

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Sweetie babes, Yikes, Jr. High School! Well actually I had a blast there as I did in High School.

I was president of my class in my 8th grade year. I had 4 fights, won three lost one, in my defense there were three girls against...me. As if I would even consider one of their dorky boy friends.

My attention was directed towards Evan, a cute Latina girl. I sat next to her in 8th grade English class. I gave up music class to be near her. What can I say, I had a crush on her.

It was a confusing time, like when I saw movies and the leading man kissed the leading lady passionately. Who could I tell what all was in my mind, that I wanted to kiss Evan like that. Jr. High school...no thanks.

later babes, nice post. I still can't figure out the rocks. Oh, that reminds me...your hero THI...ROCKS as you do. Later babes.