6/25/2009

Just beat it

So the tragic news of the sudden (but not entirely unexpected?) death of the King of Pop made me go rummage in my stuff to find a little treasure trove: my 45 record collection. Oh yeah, you know what I'm talking about. Let's have a little walk down memory lane circa 1974-1985, shall we? And please note, this is not even the entire collection, just a sampling of the "best".

Anyone who tries to deny that they didn't love Michael Jackson in 1982 is a liar:



Remember when I talked about Laura Branigan? Yep:



Jesse, I won't cut fresh flowers for you. Ditto on cold wine, clean sheets, cologne, and phone sitting:



This one was always guaranteed to put a smile on your face and a spring in your step, real uplifting. A good one to stack on top of Wildfire on your record player - you know, the happy one about the pony and girl enjoying snowflakes.



Play this one after and you are talking about a dance party:



I won't lie, I only bought this after watching the movie about a million times. Perfect soundtrack for junior high angst:



I will also not lie and tell you this is totally my karaoke song. I believe I also developed a rather intricate performance/dance/hand gesture routine to go along with it. Ain't no shame in that:



Boys in the bars thinking who is this guy? Also, the b-side to this is one of my dad's favorites (My Baby Thinks He's a Train). Classic:



And I quote: "the rain will come down, then U will have 2 choose. if U believe, look 2 the dawn and U shall never lose."



Again truth, this is no secret: I was a major major Prince fan from 1983-1987. Like I even had an old army surplus trench coat. And quite possibly longed for a puffy shirt. And maybe wrote an anonymous overwrought love note to a girl crush written entirely by quoting Prince lyrics. Anyway, like TAFKAP always said, we can funk until the dawn, holla!



And finally, Mr. A.E. Newman was not a worrier:



Duh, play the other side, dummy!

2 comments:

vivvy said...

Hmm. Do you think your stash (maleski) is worth any $$?

I believe I also developed a rather intricate performance/dance/hand gesture routine to go along with it.

Darling, all you need to do is work the donkey into the performance and we'll be golden.

Spiky Zora Jones said...

vivvy is funny..hehehe.

sweetie babe, where on earth did you get that Alfred E Newman 45...so funny.

Do you remember Sergio Aragones comic book...Groo the Wonderer? It was so MADD. the art work was awesome and the story...wonderful.

it's nice catching up with you. And sweetie...you rock. :0)

And you are right in 1982 everyone loved MJ. I was eight and remember him...i was by his rented home this past Friday. I was by his star on Hollywood blvd. It's in front of the cheses theater. It was so crowded and more media then I've ever seen in one place.