So, you know how I work in a Bette Porter building with all kinds of suits and such, right? It’s this completely different world. I’m not on a nice, rolling, grassy tree-filled campus with fresh-faced college kids playing Frisbee anymore. I’m in a 20ish story building, all curves and glass. No one cracks a smile, and from the conversations I catch in the elevators, everyone is doing Something Very Important (which, unless it’s saving the world, is rarely accurate).
There are restaurants in this building and a CVS and coffee shops and who knows what the hell else. Yes, that’s handy, I admit. I have this security card that gets me into our suite of offices yet the door to my own office has no lock. Not that I keep anything of import there, except for a perfect slice of blue geode that keeps me grounded. No one wants to steal my TPS reports.
And hey, this big office has a bank of three windows, one of them even opens so I can get fresh air. Granted, the view isn't all that great, but at least I can see the weather outside (downside: right under the flight path of National airport). There are some perks associated with being a senior somethingorother. Of course, what I actually do is a bit nebulous. Conference calls and reading reports and "documents" written in acronym. I am learning to speak in nonsense. It is very important to evaluate the efficacy of implementing this ACRONYM in an efficient and effective manner while linking incentives back to ACRONYM's goals. Yeah. That's all there in the TPS report in case you didn't get the memo.
I'm not bitching, I'm just describing. I suppose not every job we have at different points in our lives can be fulfilling and/or fun. I have a sense this one will be nice to have for a limited period of time (like say, when I get my bills paid off and/or am able to keep A in the style to which she has become accustomed, or so she says - actually, just today she sent me an email that said "I hate that you have to work. I want you to quit so you can come back and drink with me. Goodbye.").
So I hope at least that I will be able to cull a few funny stories from this job to share with you, but I worry. Frankly, telling you about how I accidentally left the ice machine in the break room frig on over the weekend and it filled up the whole freezer with ice and how I was also the one who discovered it on Monday morning, that is not the stuff of Comedy Central, I must say. What if I added that on my first week of work, the other senior somethingorother was telling me about how she left the ice machine on and it spilled out over the weekend and to be careful not to do the same thing? *crickets* Man, this is a tough crowd. Anyone here from St. Louis?
Metro-Bitch-O'-The-Week: Someone threw up right in front of the way in/out of the Greenbelt Metro tonight at rush hour. Don't lie to me, you wish you could lead The Glamorous Life, you know, the one where you have big thoughts, big dreams, and a big brown Mercedes sedan (tm Sheila E, who, btw, I totally loved, and also Apollonia plus Wendy and Lisa, oh who am I kidding, I was a big Prince/TAFKAP fan back in the day and when I say back in the day, I mean Dirty Mind, Controversy and 1999 days, none of that bullshit Lovesexy/Graffiti Bridge business, ok I'm done now).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love your metro-bitch of the week. Misery loves company...Hola company. I followed 6 vehicles all the f*cking way to work...unable to pass at any time. Farm and oil rigging equiptment are S-L-O-W. Fiften miles at that pace made me want to turn around and just go home.
Hey...what is it with corporations and acronyms. A negitive is a positive and positive is an negitive. It's a piece of cake.
Good luck in your new job...I know you'll be the best at what you do.
SZJ: Yesterday, the doors to a train on the Green Line would not close, no matter how many fucking times that annoying voice told people to stand clear, the doors are closing. We all had to get off and wait for the next one and thus, my commute home grew to 1.5 hours. Add to that a semi-disturbed man who kept shouting on the platform at the annoying voice to shut the fuck up. Come to think of it, that very likely could have been me if I was not engaging in zen breathing and residing in my bubble. And there is your own private Metro-Bitch o' the week.
Post a Comment