How sweet the weekend is, how sweet it is.
So yesterday, I attended a backyard BBQ/gay wedding reception-type thing. It was there that, in combination w/ a couple of other incidents, that I noticed an increasingly common phenomenon. Now that I'm living out here on the east coast, I have been finding these little pockets of Midwestern peeps who are all about high-fiving each other when they discover their Midwestern compatriots. Literally, I have been high-fived (physically and verbally) by like ten people from Indiana or Michigan or Minnesota or thereabouts. Granted, I'm like "woo, Midwest represent!" back to them and all, but it's been quite funny. I work with two people from Indiana (one of which high-fived me over a conference call about the old bars and hangouts that used to be at Purdue) and all these displaced Midwesterners keep coming out of the woodwork, happy to find a fellow farmer in this city. (Ms. Snarker, I am one person away from having a euchre group, I kid you not).
I guess this probably happens in other big not-Midwestern cities. And like in Canada or Sri Lanka. We're like magnets to each other; I can pick out a Chicago or St. Louis accent on a crowded street. I will not make grand generalizations about why we find and seek each other out. And how we immediately have fond feelings for these strangers from Illinois or Wisconsin. I'm sure that native New Yorkers, when they move to Ames, Iowa or something and run across each other, are like, thank fucking god, these people are fucking crazy here, save me. We're all just looking for a little piece of home, aren't we?
Go Buckeyes! Missouri rules! High-five! Midwest represent!
7/01/2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
chicago girl moved to arizona...when i find another person from chicago we talk about food...chicago pizza, hot dogs, white castle burger and mexican food...yes, we are next to the border, but can't find good mexican food...WTF...oh i enjoy your blog
Midwest in da house. Actually, I haven’t found too many Hoosiers out west and certainly no one who knows how to play euchre. I’m so freaking jealous.
Vaj: Welcome! Chicago will always hold a special place in my heart, so holla!
Ms. Snarker: I am actually convinced that we might, in fact, be the same person. Either that or we have the same taste in ladies/music/humor/everything else (Hello, Dana Delaney? Kate Winslet? Yes and yes, please). This is why I always trust a fellow Hoosier. You be me for awhile, and I'll be you..
Well, that’s what is so great about Al Gore’s invention: You can find the long-lost twin you never knew you had.
p.s. I'll trade you as soon as you find that final player for the euchre group.
p.p.s. I can't type, hence the deletion. Comments need edit mode for OCD nutcases like myself.
High 5 girl...Iowa here lost in the big city in California
euchre player here! High-five! Transplanted Wisconsinite (in NYC currently, help me.). Ok, so I wouldn't go back on a dare, I still love to meet people who know what a real Brat is (it's a food item folks).
Post a Comment