6/20/2011

June

Where has the time gone? Fast/slow all at once it seems and another June has come along.

A few things: I have been doing lots of farm therapy, mainly on the East Side. This past weekend project was building grain bins which was awesome because hello, working with wood = something I love and also tools. Farmers market on Saturdays.

I definitely feel more and more grounded.

I have also been mowing my yard like no one's business - as you know, this is one of my favorite things + very zen. Planting flowers: morning glories and petunias and clary sage and lavender and fushia and this and that. Need to get my hands on some sunflower seeds and/or wild sunflowers for sure. I have a whole area in the front prepared and I am going to perennial the shit out that space, all wild flowers and stuff. I planted a lilac bush and want to plant a million more. The purple cone flowers that were already here are blooming now, nice and tall. Alas, the poppies I planted did not make it. Will try again next year. I am also holding out hope for the tiny nasturtiums sprouts to make it. The hollyhocks are going to be huge. I am in love with my kitchen herb garden. Two of my three butterfly bushes are growing well/blooming. The third, on a shady north side, not so much. I have plans and plans for hostas on that side. Trumpet vines (or as we called them, 'witch's fingers') all along the back with the honeysuckle. I planted some horsetail grass in a nice shady spot near the downspout. I need more peonies. Definitely not enough peonies in my yard yet. There are a few spots reserved for new trees - I am thinking honey locust or lilac trees or more redbuds or perhaps an apple/cherry/other fruit tree? Yes to all I think.

The lightning bugs are out. It's summer for sure. The light at the end of the day reminds me of home. My new one and my old.

And June.

ETA: This

1 comment:

vivvy said...

Darling, your yard plans sound lovely. I'm happy you have the space to do all that! How cool and wonderful. I wish you were nearby so I could employ you to work on our yard. You could swagger around in Carhartt shorts and I would reward you with many mimosas.