5/18/2005

Little bombs

The new Aimee Mann cd finally came in the mail, two weeks after I ordered it. Alas, I am not bitter because it is really good. It's a bit of a concept album following a storyline between two people in a relationship, as always focusing on addiction and dependency. Though it's best to listen all the way through, there are some great individual standout songs: Video; Little Bombs; and That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart. I really just appreciate her word play and unusual imagery...

"I am get sad and stuck in a cone of silence. Like a big balloon with nothing for ballast, labeled like a bottle for Alice -- drink me or I'll drown in a sea of giants"

"Life just kind of empties out, less a deluge than a drought, less a giant mushroom cloud than an unexploded shell inside a cell of the Lennox Hotel"

"So, like a ghost in the snow, I'm getting ready to go. Because baby, that's all I know -- how to open the door"

That's how I knew this story would break my heart...

No comments: