5/11/2005

Tornado season

Here's a snap of the current radar. All the storms are north of me currently, but I'm hoping for some rain, it's been dry. It's tornado season once again, I'm kind of afraid to admit that I love tornado season. I think it's the adrenaline rush. I'm a weather junky anyway (I have no problem watching The Weather Channel for hours). For any Midwesterner, tornadoes seem to play a role in the collective unconscious. The fear, excitement, anticipation..it all plays out somehow/someway. I wouldn't be surprised if every Midwesterner out there didn't dream of tornadoes at night. Mine always revolve around seeing them coming towards me or knowing that they're on the way and me trying to keep my loved ones safe from them. I think of the many times I've huddled in various basements, waiting for the sirens to go off. One time, my friend and I were in the basement of this house I was renting, we had our dogs down there and were watching the wind whip the neighbor's tree around through tiny basement windows. At one point, we turned to check on the dogs and when we turned back, that tree was gone. Less than 20 feet away from us, it had been uprooted in the street. One time I spent about an hour in my bathtub in a rickety apartment building while a tornado spun through South Park, about 2 blocks away. I had sofa cushions on top of me, as if that would save me. Better than nothing I guess. I have only seen one once in person, when I was young. My mom and I were driving home from the restaurant where she worked and off on the eastern horizon coming across a field was the familiar black sight.

I am also the person the weather guy/gal targets when they have continuing coverage of approaching storms. I will watch that shit all night...




Yea! Storms! Posted by Hello

No comments: