12/06/2005

winter ennui

Aye, so it's colder here and things are still busy and eh. Holiday season sucked last year and this year is similar. No holiday spirit and not looking forward to the whole Xmas thing, I only get it up for the Agent who loves Xmas. I'm hoping my feelings will eventually change.

I went home to Indiana the day after Thanksgiving for a few days to visit my dad and sister. Long drive, 10 hours across Missouri and Illinois and up through the Hoosier state. Unfortunately, "home" is not really an appropriate word anymore for that place and the whole time I was there, it felt very empty. Still, I felt compelled to go. As a result, I'm in a bit of a funk, but work is so busy this week I haven't had time to process.

All is not lost though, our secretary Debbie made me this awesome black scarf that I love..it's made out of ribbon yarn. It's spiffy. And tonight, the Agent and her aunt (who is visiting for 2 weeks..and who talks non-stop) took a trip down to Oklahoma so I have the house to myself. I could use about another two days home alone, but will take what I can get. Oh, and we went to see Harry Potter on Sun. Plus my dogs love me so time to buck up and stop whining.

As life gets longer, awful feels softer -- Modest Mouse

3 comments:

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Yeah, my sweetie is not much into the holidays. I think she does it just for me, though she loves to buy presents. She would debate that, but I see it in her eyes when we are out shopping.
We went to visit my sis. She lives in my parents house, where we grew up. Though we had a wonderful time there visiting the house seemed filled with shadows of the past. Many memories filled my head. My parents have pasted away. I miss my mother so much it at times hurts as it did while we were there. I know you are thinking, why didn't she mention the same of her father? He and I really never knew each other and we rarely spoke to each other. I was told he was very proud of me and of my accomplishments. It just always seemed that he was angry with me. I never asked and he never said and that was how it stayed. You are so right...gotta get out of this funk. Cheers.

vivvy said...

Oh darling, I've been remiss in calling you. Mrs. V is stricken with bronchitis and I'm battling a sinus infection that I hope does not morph into the same, hence my reluctance to fill your ears with the sounds of our quasi-Brenda Vaccaro voices.

This time of year gets me down quite a bit too; I haven't really enjoyed it much since my mom died. So I try to take comfort where I can: snuggling by the fireplace, hot chocolate, and dreaming of Alex Cabot's imminent return to the tube.

Ah, well.

We'll muddle through somehow, old girl. ::smooch::

El N said...

Well, you know nothing perks me up more than a little nip from the Cabot reserve. I do so love the 2003 vintage.

It's snowing today; things are all pretty and white which helps wash away some of the gray. Pip, pip!