Yeah, so it's a hundred here. Pretty typical summer in the middle of the country. I've always hated the heat, it's way too draining and as it is, my energy level is low so I'm moving at a snail's pace most days.
So let's see, I went to Indiana to visit my dad and sister last weekend. Long drive across Missouri and Illinois - 70 never changes. The trip was as it has been: equal parts depressing/sad and familiar. Seems like every time I go home, I come back with fodder for my therapist. Good times! Spent most of the time fishing with my dad and slowly driving a pontoon around Big Long Lake. There's something oddly relaxing driving a large platform .5 knots/hr - no one ever rushes anywhere on a pontoon. I used to fish quite a bit with my dad and still enjoy it, neither one of us are talkers so we sit there in the sun watching for our bobbers to move, occasionally one of us will whisper "here fishy fishy". It was nice, even though I felt like I consumed 2 cases of Bud Light and had one heck of a sunburn. Still..it feels empty and strange every time I go back.
Other news is that while there, we made an offer on a house in a new town and will be moving the middle of next month. So there's lots to do between now/then. Luckily half the stuff is already packed and the remaining shouldn't take too long. Don't think we won't be hiring guys with a truck to move all our shit. I've moved my own stuff enough times over the years to be done with that. Plus we've got big heavy shit and it will be hot. I have no qualms spending that money. Very excited though about the new place, 2.3 acres on the outskirts of town. Lots of room, even a detached shop. I can't even tell you how excited I am to be back near my peeps. Even though I lived 35 mins away, the drive to/from for visits was annoying and limiting. I will actually be able to entertain again. And cook for more than 2 people! And have good restaurants to go to! And shows! And we won't be living here in this god awful city! Praise the baby jesus!
So last night at 2:15am, I hear guy voices outside our bedroom window. Now, on that side of the house, there's basically an open field and people just don't go traipsing through it, esp at that hour. So the dog barks, I get up, and our motion light goes off and I see this teenager jogging to the road. I go to the front window and the dogs are barking and there are about 4 guys walking down the road. I don't think they were doing anything more than drinking beer and wandering around. I even go outside after they passed to make sure they were headed on down the road and not out slashing tires/stealing hubcaps. I considered calling the cops, but decided they weren't causing any serious trouble and I was young once, sneaking out drinking beer in the middle of the night during the summer. So during this entire event, dogs barking and me checking out the situation, The Agent is snoring. This morning I had to inform my little law enforcement officer that she was seriously sleeping on the job. She was all "why didn't you wake me up!" and truthfully, if I was actually scared of these kids, I would have. But it was no big (other than being slightly startling). She left this morning for two weeks of training in DC so I'm bachloretting it up (hello, cocaine and strippers!). I did ask that she leave one of her Glocks here with me, just in case - you know how I feel about guns in general (well, beyond the fetish!), but I had to admit that I'd rather have it handy than not should something occur in the middle of the night again. Aim high, shoot low..
So what else? I've been listening to lots of Beck lately, Guero. Other stuff. Does anyone really care what's on someone else's iPod? I doubt it, but here's what's been playing tonight on mine:
Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits
Drive - Melissa Ferrick
Hurt - Johnny Cash
I'll Be You - The Replacements
Ceremony - New Order
Lazy Line Painter Jane - Belle and Sebastian
Blue Veins - The Raconteurs
Black Star - Gillian Welch (awesome cover of Radiohead's song)
17 Days - Prince
and
"Broken Drum"
I see you there
Your long black hair
Your eyes just stare
Your mind is turning
You know I'll laugh
And I won't take it back
I've seen your eyes I know
What your thinking
And one by one
We'll shoot our guns
We'll have fun
Don't ever doubt it
And when I say
Fare thee well
My only friend
Oh how the days go
Your setting sun
Your broken drum
Your little drugs
I'll never forget you
Never
Forget
You - Beck
7/16/2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
A new home! Praise Jesus and the fishes! I'm very happy for you & the Agent (poor thing, she really needs her sleep, doesn't she?).
And a detachable shack shed thingy! I trust that is where the "writing colony" will be. I'll bring the Bud Light!
Yes sweetie, I shall turn that detached garage into our own private Yaddo. You shall have the private studio below the chemin de ronde, and I the garderobe. You can finish your roman a clef re: your time spent in a Turkish prison and I will complete my haiku collection. Oh the fun we will have!
Post a Comment