9/15/2007

I go for the hotdogs, stay for the beer

Well, as you know, I do appreciate my sports. Heck, right now I'm drinking my morning Diet Pepsi and flipping between the Solheim Cup and the women's soccer World Cup. It has been established that I will watch almost any sport involving women and a fair amt involving men.

Except baseball. My friend Vivvy of course is a huge Yankees fan. My dad is a big Cubs fan since forever. Apparently alot of people like it since the season lasts, what, 10 out of 12 months of the year. I am not one of those people.

And yet, I will be going to the Braves-Nationals game tonight down in the city with that also newly-moved here gal I met a while back in the city. I'll let you in on a little secret. The only reason I am going is to sit in the stands and look at green green grass, have a stadium hotdog and some beer and chit-chat. It's a beautiful day out today and tonight will be lovely, so why not spend it outside looking at grass? I would imagine that it won't be that crowded, I know enough to know that the Nats (as they call them) aren't good so I'm hoping it will be like when I went to a few Royals games. Empty and plenty of room to stretch out. That is my kind of baseball game. Do some crowd watching, be entertained by the jumbo screen antics, have a dog, drink some beer, and occasionally look up to make sure a fly ball is not coming towards my head. I can do that.

Metro-bitch-of-the-week: It's been awhile since I posted a Metro bitch (not that there hasn't been much to bitch about), but on Thursday, my prescription sunglasses apparently fell out of my stupid "tote" bag and before I realized it, were on their way to Vienna. So I check in on the Metro website to see what to do about it. Apparently, there are so many glasses and sunglasses lost that they don't bother to do much about it, you just have to go to Silver Springs and sort through what I am imagining to be this huge barrel/bin in the off chance you will find your glasses there. If they weren't prescription, I'd write them off but you know. Fuck. So a possibly fruitless trip to Silver Springs is on the to-do list today as well. I can't wait. (ETA: Nevermind. The lost and found office is only opened "conveniently" between the hours of 11am and 6pm on weekdays. When most people who might lose things on the Metro are, you know, working.)

4 comments:

Dorothy Snarker said...

I've grown to appreciate baseball and find going to games quite enjoyable (well, aside for the fact that last time I went a beer in a tiny plastic cup and a small bottle of water cost $12). Hope you had fun and, by some metro miracle, find your prescription shades. Man, that sucks.

Once, before contacts, one of my glasses' lenses popped out while walking down a snowy sidewalk in Chicago in the dark. By some fluke (and I mean fluke, those proverbial bats got nothing on me) I found the lens and by some even greater fluke (seriously, I don't even know how I spotted it what with the one lens), I found a nearby JCPenney that was still open. The nice lady inside screwed the lens back in for free. Kindness of strangers, sometimes kinder than you'd think. So, uh, keep the faith.

vivvy said...

Despite your feelings about the game (and the fact that the Nats do suck), I hope you had a lovely time, sweetie. It was a gorgeous weekend, no? Perfect for watching a game! The season is winding down and I am pretty much on pins and needles waiting to see if we make the postseason. (But if we do and we lose to the cocksucking motherfucking shitbag Angels again, Baby is going to have a fit.)

Not that you needed to know all that. :)

But hey, I did catch some of the women's soccer WC games on ESPN last week and color me intrigued, I did enjoy them.

Pipistrello said...

Last game I went to was during The Dark Ages (work function) and The Dodgers were playing Montreal. It was a double no-hitter or something. The baseball fans were amazed at history being made and I was amazed at everyone sitting through so many innings of absolutely nothing happening. One of the most painfully boring experiences of my life. I seriously wished I drank beer...or smoked crack...or at least brought a book. That must be the key to baseball. Drinking The Beer.

El N said...

ms snarker: I did have fun even if the stadium sucked. RFK is not a great place to watch a baseball game. And thank you for the well wishes re: my glasses. I'm going to do my best but I have a feeling it will be for naught.

viv: For you and your sanity and the sanity of the Mrs, I shall cheer for your damned Yankees. Lord knows they don't get enough attention or media coverage. What's that handsome guy's name on that team again?

pip: I found out that the Nationals used to be the Montreal Expos. There goes America appropriating Canada again :) ps. Beer generally makes everything more interesting!