9/26/2007

not dead yet

I have returned to Dumb City with a cold and a shitty attitude, therefore I shall only say a few words so as not to come off as the bitter, sick shrew I feel like today:

1. Happy B-day (yesterday) to my literary girlfriend and Promises bunkmate, Miss Vivian Darkbloom. Who shall ever forget the soiree we had for her in 1978? It rivaled Capote's Black and White party, only we called it the Sequins and Nude party. Were it not for a ridiculous call to the fire department and an unfortunate misunderstanding between María del Rosario Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza de Rasten (aka Charo) and George Hamilton, that party would have gone down in history. C'est la life. (Also a happy belated bday to Pip and Winny! Libras will rule the world one day, I am convinced.)

2. My visit to my dad's was lovely. Perfect weather. Pontoon. A sunburn. Fishing. And I had the pleasure of having breakfast in what some people would call a small-town diner, but I would call a bait store/gambling parlor that serves eggs and fried potatoes on the side. Good times. I also drove a practically blind, speech impaired, hard of hearing drunken old man around on his golf cart. His name was Pooch. One time, Pooch, after a long day and many Natural Lites, mistook the gas for the break and drove his golf cart into the porch of his trailer, narrowly missing the propane tank. Pooch was also wearing shorts that no man of his age and/or weight should wear. Good times, good times. Gotta love the Hoosier state.

3. I am just now reading the last Harry Potter book which has been making my Metro commute falsely appear shorter. Somehow I've remained unspoiled and am enjoying it. However, not to sound all sunny-happy-days-are-here-again, the 8 mile drive down I-95 is going to kill me before the end of this week. Every day, morning and night, it has inched along. I have lost all patience with people and their stupid cars and their stupid whatevers -- I engaged in some primal scream therapy this morning when I saw the backup again. Somehow, shouting the MF word over and over again did not help. I wonder if I should try shouting something more positive? Any suggestions?

And thus, I bring the shrew full circle. I wish I could get it up to be excited that today is Wednesday or that I had finally worked for and achieved world peace, but alas and alak, all I can do is buck up like a good soldier! Enough of this bullshit! Come on now!

4 comments:

vivvy said...

Darling, thanks so much for the birthday wishes! I remember our Sequins and Nude party quite well; it was all for the best that I was all decked out in the former and you the latter, wasn't it?

I still refuse to speak to George Hamilton. If he hadn't gotten cocoa butter on Charo's guitar, the stage wouldn't have gone up in flames when she did her "Fires of Flamenco" routine.

p.s. Darling, the role model for our future lives--Brett Somers--has passed away. So I say, when you are stuck in I-95 traffic, think WWBSD?

Anonymous said...

Just last night (completely unaware of her death) I stumbled upon a VHS tape that was given to me by my sister that had nothing but Match Games on it. I spent way too much time watching a bunch of episodes.

Good times.

Gene Rayburn had the longest, thinnest microphone in the world. Even longer and thinner than Bob Barker's. And Brett Somers was in fine form. Ahh..Match Game. You just don't find that kind of camaraderie on game shows anymore. I tell ya.

riese said...

gooooo libras!

that's all.

thank you.

El N said...

Remember when they used to call that show Match Game 76 or whatever with the year in the title? Well I remember one year being at that young age where it is hard to fathom change. I got extremely upset when it went from Match Game 78 to Match Game 79. Could.Not.Compute. It took a while for me to get over that. Then the next year came around. Somewhere up in heaven, Charles Nelson Reily and Brett are trading thinly disguised one-liiners about genitalia with God. Um. Maybe?