2/10/2008

Oh no thanks, I couldn't possibly take another!

So I guess Virginia is for lovers (that's what they say) so maybe I'll find out for sure. I found an apt over there which is good b/c it's a million times closer to work. Like I won't be spending 3 hours a day commuting to/from work and I might actually have time in my life to do other things like sleep in and/or walk the dogs and/or do things people do when they have time (read? drink? gaze at one's own navel?). Instead of 15 Metro station stops across one side of the city to the other, I will only have 5. Instead of dealing with the green and the red and the blue and the orange, I will only deal with the orange. 1 train. Is it possible I might start liking people/human race again? A girl can dream.

So Virginia being for "lovers" reminds me of way back in the day, when an ex and I went camping with an acquaintance on a little island near Newport, RI. I barely remember her now (the acquaintance, not the ex) but as we were sitting around having drinks/camping, this gal was talking about how she, quote, "didn't take lovers". Remember when Rachel Dratch and whatshisname on SNL did that bit about "my lover"? It was said exactly like that, but this woman showed no such irony. She was serious and all like "Yes, to be honest, I don't take lovers". As in, "I'm sorry, but we don't take applicants at this time". It was like her policy not to take a lover - as if she were someone a century ago discussing her habits while taking tea in the drawing room. "Oh I don't take lovers, you see. Mummy always said it would wrinkle my crinoline petticoat. More tea?" I don't remember what her reasoning was either (I mean really, who doesn't take a lover except those who celebrate celibacy and abstinence = no one I know, but hey, to each her/his own). I don't remember the point of this story other than I think that Virginia's motto is gay.

That's all I got. I'm off to take a lover. I mean walk. I bid you adieu!

3 comments:

vivvy said...

Darling, I never thought I would ever use a word that contains "virgin" in it to describe you, and yet, here we are: You are a Virginian now. So by all means, take a lover, take a hostage, take a Xanax.

Congrats on your new digs, and hurrah for better commuting!

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Yay for just the orange line! Sweetie babes, that is fantastic. Moving sucks though.

Do not take lovers??? Wha-hey!!!

If you don't use it...you lose it. Then she's gonna be sorry. She'll eventually get a lover and have to explain..."I swear it worked a few years ago."

El N said...

V: Remember when we were deflowered on tour with Benny, Bjorn, Agnetha, and Anni-Frid? You held my hand and told me I was a woman now. And how we would repeat this scene over the years? All my favorite memories are with you, sweetie!

szj: I remembered her name: Jane. So if you ever run into a woman named Jane who chooses not to take a lover, tell her I said hello!