8/19/2005

Friday Odds/Ends

1. I put in several applications for federal jobs recently. If there's one thing our government is good at, it's bureaucracy. Same deal with state jobs. I guess they figure if you can navigate successfully through tedious instructions and multiple layers of applications then you're well on your way to being The (Wo)Man. We shall see I guess..it's been interesting trying to translate an academic vitae to a real-world resume. Liberal use of words like "outcome-oriented" and "demonstrated success" and other biz glory-words. One of the jobs requires a security clearance so no more strippers and cocaine for me! Course, that didn't stop W...

2. We've been having lovely storms lately..more than we had in the traditional spring storm season. I love waking up in the middle of the night to lightening and thunder. Today I'm going to sneak out of here early to meet the girls for a beer before this line of storms move through..much better to watch it with a beverage in hand.

3. My Storm are 1 game away from clinching a playoff spot..LJ's MVP, I gotta feeling. As I mentioned, I'm trying to channel all my bball mojo so that the 3 days I'm in Seattle will overlap with a home playoff game. See, Sue Bird likes me to come to the games, says it gives her inspiration. Who am I to let down my gals?

4. So classes started here on campus yesterday. I swear, the undergrads keep getting younger every year. It's weird like that, huh? This morn on the walk to my office, there was a young co-ed climbing the steps in front of me. I (who am rarely scandalized) was scandalized..her little denim shorts rode just below her asscheeks to the point where you could see curves. I felt conflicted because on the one hand, I was like, hmmm..nice ass. And on the other, I'm all maternal and wondering how she went out of the house like that and does she know boys are going to stare and she's really way to young to be wearing that. Welcome to middle-age.

5. We rented Angels in America last weekend..I had seen the play years ago when it rolled through campus. This was the HBO special. I enjoyed it, but was struck by how dated it felt on the one hand but how little things have changed politically on the other. Reagan/Bush..I was trying to remember if the Right was as extreme and nasty back then as they seem to be today. In some respects, I'm kind of glad I wasn't as politically aware back in the 80's as I am now...jr high and high school occupied my time. With the current admin, I can really understand how nice it would be not to care and how dangerous it would be not to. Aye..too much politics on a Fri.

I'm outta here, and queer, and headed for beer...get used to it!