I started the day off with a pap smear and it hasn't gotten much better. How fun..
So I heard from my Fool friend last night, he's fine. But he's headed out of the city today, finally. Not sure how he's going to drive out of there, but he'll figure it out. They're talking about not letting people back into the city for a month or so. Can you imagine? Every house probably has to searched once the water goes down, one can only imagine what will be found in the this kind of weather in the next month. I was watching the news last night after the game (Seattle won) and couldn't get my mind around the amt of flooding. NO is a sprawling place with lots of shotgun shacks and shaky housing options in some of the poor sections of town (which is a lot of the city, rampant poverty is a big problem down there). Only the French Quarter is above sea level and it has some flooding issues too. I had a conference scheduled in NO in Nov, but I suspect that will be cancelled or moved. I was looking forward to another trip down there.
Instead, I made two donations in my mom's name to the Red Cross and the PetSmart charities. A drop in the (literal) bucket, but I had to do something. I'd hate to think what the South would be like without the grittiness of New Orleans..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
My computer squeeked and zapped and somehow reset itself, though I suspect Greg is playing with the in-house server.
Hey it's nice to hear your fool friend is fine. Whew!
The RED Cross is a fine organization to donate to. Watch out for some of those that advertise in television. I have a few stories there. You think you are helping those in need to find, it went to a few greedy bastards. When my sources sent me reports from the Southern California area, I could hardly belive it. I had the information verified. It still pisses me off.
I know, a pap smear always ruins my day. The day before is pretty much ruined too, cause I know I have to go to the doc's. I should really look for a female gyn. I feel so naked and, and, and I guess I'm just not comfortable with him. I feel like a virgin each and every pap smear. I know, get over it Spiky. Later babes..
Donating to PetSmart is a good idea. (I was just going to give to the Red Cross.) It is all so mind-boggling and horrifying.
I haven't been to NO in years. I'm sad I won't get to see it the way it was again. It is a huge cultural loss for the country; NO is so completely unique among American cities...to me, it almost felt like being in another country.
p.s. I'm glad your friend is okay, sweetie. I guess that old cliche is right: God does look after fools and drunks. (And those who are both are doubly blessed!)
Post a Comment