11/18/2005

Calling the House of Sick

So this week, it's been Kleenex, cough drops, and NyQuil in our household. Mine was more coughing than anything, hers was the all around cold. At one point this week, I was woken up in the middle of the night by her cold-snoring, both dogs snoring, and my own cough. I slept on the couch the rest of the night. Things are looking up though and we're on our way to recovery. I'm off to buy brand new toothbrushes today [because once I learned from my doctor that bacteria just hangs out on your toothbrush and reinfects you, I was sold -- in much the same way I was recently sold on never ordering beer from a tap unless it's at a brewery. Ever wonder why you get huge headaches and feel like shit when you drink some cheap ass beer from a tap in some dive or at a sporting event? It's because they never clean their lines from the keg to the tap and it is a breeding ground for bacteria. I can't tell you how much this realization changed my beer-drinking perspective; why actively seek out and drink bacteria? aye..anyway, this message brought to you by the Beer in Bottles Association]

I'm taking a half day off today (I have a bunch of vacation time I need to burn before the end of the Dec), most of which will be spent doing some house cleaning (one week of sick=time to clean). I also have to clean out the garage and put away my camping gear (which I last used at least 3 weeks ago). Also, the Algerian Fool will be coming over to hang and drink a few beer/BBQ. The Agent will not particularly like that (because she's never forgiven him for getting drunk and naked (as he is wont to do) in front of her one time camping..I'm used to his antics and couldn't be bothered; he's like a brother to me, I accept him pretty unconditionally, though on occasion have to put him in his place). Anyway, that's my Fri. Good times!

/end (parenthetical digressions)

Finally, I got a call last night on my cell, originating from a phone card. The message was as follows:

Hi MyName, this is Annie. I just wanted to wish you a happy Thanksgiving and let you talk to Donnie. He wants to tell you about school. I'll be around all weekend if you want to give me a call back. Talk to you later!

WHO IN THE HELL ARE ANNIE AND DONNIE? I have no idea..I mean none. They clearly know me, but I am drawing a complete blank and certainly cannot call them back this weekend. How weird is that? I am not ready to admit my dementia just yet, but I'm beginning to wonder..

3 comments:

vivvy said...

I feel your pain, sweetie. I've been battling phlegm for weeks, it seem. And while I knew about toothbrush bacteria, I did not know that about tap beer! You are a font of scientific knowledge. Glad you guys are feeling better. Enjoy your BBQ this weekend...

{Note to self: Do not get drunk and disrobe in front of Agent. Ever.}

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Oh, baby doll! You two were sick! So very sorry. Knock on wood, it's been a very long time since I've been sick. Years. My girl is sick every October and it always takes her a week to get out of bed. I try to stay away as much as possible...not a nice person when she is sick. You ever wonder what happened to Baby Jane?
Hey thanks for the info...on the beer. Sooo I guess I'll stick to Kamikazes, Cabo-Wabo shooters and bottled beer.

Anonymous said...

Ewwww! I will never, ever, never order beer or let close friends and family get beer from a tap. That's just gross when you think about it. Ewwww!

I also knew about the toothbrush thing.

I hope you and the Agent are feeling better.