Last night before bed, I picked up Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth and was re-reading the chapter on a Hero's Journey. I wasn't so much interested in the traditional notion of the Hero going on an (physical) adventure, overcoming some obstacle, etc etc. I was more interested in the other aspect of a hero journey that he talked about that focuses on the spiritual quest..the idea that when one chooses to stop thinking or doing what is "normal" and undergoes a change or seeks out some new way of thinking/doing and chooses to come back transformed. (You can see how this plays out in psychotherapy for example -- yeah, I know, but it's illustrative).
I tend more toward secular humanism or unitarian universalism when I do that BeliefNet survey. As such, I like to look towards other sources (like Campbell or a poem or existential philosophers or nature or science) for inspiration when it comes to the spiritual side of things. I'm coming to a major turning point in my life when my job ends in Dec and I'm thinking about what I need to do next...and although some of the focus is on the material (i.e. how to pay the bills), I find myself mainly focused on the intangibles (i.e. happiness, fulfillment). And I think that those are very self-oriented and I had always thought you had to pursue them in an egocentric manner (i.e. what can I do to make myself happy?). However, I am beginning to think that the answer, for me, is going to be found elsewhere, through more altruistic endeavors. I'm not even sure how that translates as a question.
So part of what I am preparing to "do" is overcome the daily grind of our Western capitalistic/consumerism model (which is focused soley on the self, ultimately). I think we get so caught up in pushing papers, looking out for #1, distracting ourselves from real challenge that we get complacent. We go from day to day mostly submerged in our own little worlds, thinking about what's coming next; somewhere along the line, we get lost or lose touch with the fundamental. I have to search for answers from a very different perspective. I've had glimpses of this from time to time, moments of understanding, but it's hard to maintain and hold on to them day-to-day. So I'm going out looking for that understanding, I'm just not sure how to get there or where to go. Hence, the upcoming journey.
But enough about me and my crazy talk, where's your bliss?
11/09/2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Wow! I started asking myself those same questions about five or so years ago, and since then I've been on a journey of sorts myself.
Based on what you posted, I suggest adding Ralph Waldo Emerson to your reading list. For the altruism idea, I suggest Sharon Salzberg's book LovingKindness. It's straightforward without any New Agey crap...and touches on some of the stuff in your post.
As you touched on, the trappings of Capitalism can bring nice things, but not true inner happiness. You've got to get that elsewhere.
Good luck with your quest.
If you want to trade ideas....just let me know. I've been going through the same thing.
Hey Renee..drop me an email when you get a chance?
What is it that causes a person to suddenly think…hum, I’m not happy…what can I do to be happy? Where is my challenge? Where is the dragon I must slay? Do you see the ‘me me me’ in those questions? It’s normal. We do get in that groove where we get occupied with our surrounding and distractions.
Mother would say in her Southern way. Honey, what is it that yah want tah do? What is it that will make yah happy? Then…do it child. She has passed on…so I watch Kim Novak movies to get a glimpse of her. The way she would cock her eyebrow and narrow her eyes when I had somehow made her angry with me…yes innocent angel me. That one time when I pulled Francisco’s hair in CCD class and Sister Mary Alice disciplined me. I didn’t mind the fifteen hits on my open hand with a pointer stick. I didn’t cry…well not then and there, not till I was outside in the playground. I was actually more afraid that mother would be upset with me. I know I babble on…get it? ‘Babble on’ like in the bible. Jeez, that’s okay, no one gets my jokes. I know it seems that I seem to show a lack of concern…but I am concerned. I guess it’s because I’m not there yet….give me like 6 to 10 years then maybe I’ll jump off the train I’m riding on for another going in a different direction.
This capitalism stuff really does intrude on one's bliss, doesn't it? To quote our current favorite band: Buy this car to drive to work / Drive to work to pay for this car...
Mrs. V here. Sometimes pursuing what makes you happy IS a humanitarian pursuit and not just selfishness. At our age everyone has this crisis of "am I doing what I want to be doing at this point in my life and am I doing anything for the good of others?" When I thought of so-called humanitarian jobs which I could pursue I realized that I wouldn't be good at them and I would resent the time spent at them. How is that helping the world? But I did have a passion for the academic field I chose to study in and people see that passion. That makes a difference in the world. You just have to analyze what really makes you happy? When do you just sit there and chuckle with delight or sigh from pleasure from what you're doing (okay, you might want to rule out a career as a sex worker ... or maybe not!) For me it was when I was looking at art or writing about it. Might I suggest that writing may be what you're seeking? I see a natural ability there ... Particularly when it comes to humor.
Post a Comment