Still here!
How times flies though, it's the middle of Jan already and I barely feel like I've started my time off. But it's been quite nice, sleeping in, reading the paper every morning, letting the day take me where it wants. Lots of trips to the dog park, cooking, and reading*. I've also been working on my second Adirondack chair after a bit of a hiatus. It's not coming along as smoothly as the previous one, but I think it will come out fine. So, all in all, I've been busy, but not busy (in the traditional sense). It's great feel unencumbered; I know it won't last and who knows if I'll get another opportunity, so I'm going to enjoy it for as long as needed. I figure I'll know when the right time is to go back into the workforce (and I do feel lucky/privileged to be financially able to do this; most people can't).
Finally, here is the recipe for the black been enchilada/quesadilla casserole I made last night. Great for taking your time and enjoying a glass of red wine while cooking:
----------------
1 can black beans
2 cans enchilada sauce
1 small can corn
1 tomato
1 medium onion
1 green pepper (red also if they aren't $$)
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup green onions
Flour or wheat tortillas
Enough cheddar/jack cheese to make you happy
Oven 350 degrees
Saute the diced onions, peppers, and garlic in a skillet w/ olive oil. When onions turn translucent, add diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Simmer on low, stirring occasionally. Add cayenne or chili powder as desired. After about 10 minutes, add a small pat of butter to melt in and thicken bean mix. Meanwhile, heat up the enchilada sauce in a separate pot. After the black bean mix is soft and thick, prepare to layer. In the bottom of a casserole dish, spoon enough enchilada sauce to cover bottom. Cut or tear tortillas to make a layer. Then add a layer of beans, then enchilada sauce, then cheese. Repeat as needed. Pop in oven and allow to cook about 20 minutes or so. You'll know when it's done, bubbly and melted. Great for leftovers.
--------------------
*I'm really enjoying The Self-Aware Universe..I'm still processing the info, but I picked up some interesting insights into spirituality/mysticism/science that seem to gel with some of my own thoughts/experiences. (Renee, I want to catch up with you when I've read more and have had some time to let it soak in and make sense). It's definitely a good read, but is one of those kind of books that need reflection/contemplation. I've been thinking of it on and off in quiet moments and chit-chatting about it with some friends so the ideas are there on the stove, slow-cooking.
1/18/2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Jealous, jealous, jealous. Did I say jealous? I would kill to have time off.
Sweetie, the recipe sounds great. I'd be tempted to make it for Mrs. V but beans do terrible things to her delicate constitution. That, and she thinks Cheese is The Devil.
Ahh, you've got your chance to find and follow your bliss! That's fantastic! Enjoy every moment of your time off and don't let yourself worry about the future. Life has a way of working itself out when we don't get in the way.
Just be.
Post a Comment