Viv posted an Anne Carson poem that I really liked and I just now realized why: It reminds me of my favorite translation of Rilke. There are many translations, but I like this one:
I'm too alone in the world, and yet not
alone enough
to make every hour holy.
I am too small in the world, and yet not
tiny enough
just to stand before you like a thing,
dark and shrewd.
I want my will, and I want to be with
my will
as it moves towards deed;
and in those quiet, somehow hesitating times,
when something is approaching,
I want to be with those who are wise
or else alone.
I want always to be a mirror that reflects
your whole being,
and never to be too blind or too old
to hold your heavy, swaying image.
I want to unfold.
Nowhere do I want to remain folded,
for where I am bent and folded, there
I am lie.
And I want my meaning
true for you. I want to describe myself
like a painting that I studied
closely for a long, long time,
like a word I finally understood,
like the pitcher of water I use every day,
like the face of my mother,
like a ship
that carried me
through the deadliest storm of all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
And I want my meaning
true for you. I want to describe myself
like a painting that I studied
closely for a long, long time,
like a word I finally understood
My favorite part...baby doll. Thanks for posting sweetie, it's beautiful. Have a fab weekend, you rule.
You've reminded me of what I really like about Rilke. Haven't read any of it in yonks, and now I have a hankering...so thank you. It's so hard to create this kind of declarative poetry ("I am/ I want") without sounding like a complete wanker, but Rilke could do it. And in German, no less.
(...and because I am an anal-retentive shitwit, the poem I posted was by Anne Carson, not Sexton. Although you gotta love Sexton. She was hot!)
Post a Comment