9/04/2006

Country Critters # 3

Well, after all that big city LA-type excitement on Sat (how damn cute is Pamie?), you can imagine that I spent the next couple of days recovering. Ok, maybe not, but I spent yesterday mowing the grass and cutting out stumps. And that is the sound of two mice clicking the Back button, right before boredom sets in. But it's true. The grass needed to be mowed and the stupid junipers that the previous neighbors planted in weird places needed to be removed.

So I had occasion to pass by the walnut tree in the yard..and this is what I found:

The Hive

I decided to get the ladder for a closer look. I should have taken video because there was a lot of movement, lots of twitching. Kinda creepy. Here you go:

Resistance is Futile

Um, yeah..those are a bunch of worm-type catepillars, each with a face a little black face and white eye staring back at me stuck together in some sort of hive thing. The whole thing was about a foot and a half long. Oddly, today when I looked at it, all that was left were these dried out fuzzy husks, every single worm was gone. I'd like to assume they've all metamorphasized into beautiful butterflies and flown off to do whatever it is moths do("the moth don't care if the flame is real). Please tell me they haven't burrowed into my ear canal while I was sleeping last night. Except, well, at least I'd have an excuse...that could hold up in court.

Kidding!

2 comments:

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Bugs...eeewww. You know I grew up in a farm town and I remember having so many flying and crawling bugs. June bugs, honey bees and butterflies were my favorites, though I've not ever seen an event like that pic. Looks like the bug version of Wood stock...Bug Stock.

That was a fab interview with Pamela. some of my friends didn't like Why Moms are Weird as much as Why Girls are Weird, but I loved them both. Maybe I can catch her in the LA area one of these days. She is a cutie. Hum, I wonder if she parties on Sunset...hey you never know who you're gonna run into. Pamela seems so shy. Um and what is this "met you in the restroom," thingy. hehehehe. You lucky girl. later babes.

vivvy said...

It's saying something that I would rather look at photos of your bugs than one more photo of the Cruise spawn.