2/12/2007

The curse of sweeping fame/popularity

*sigh*

Yes, so not to beat a dead horse, but we are leaving in 2.5 weeks which is fine, whatever. But as a result, there are no less than 3 large parties scheduled and two lunch dates and that is not even counting the people waiting for me(us) to commit to something between now/then. These are my friends and work colleagues and The Agent's friends and work colleagues. You know I love a party and hey, who doesn't love lunch, but I am less comfortable with the focus and point of the party being on me leaving. Because here's what will happen at two of the large parties (one more so than the other): I will know and (mostly) like everyone there, we will have good food, there will be music, there will be liquid libation X 10, and it will be late and then people will start saying things like "I'm going to miss you" and I will say things like "I'll miss you too, we'll keep in touch" and with most people we will both mean it and then at some point, probably around the 10:38pm mark in the evening, it will hit me (libation and goodbying) and you want to talk about extreme girl-osity? Who cries at parties in one's honor? Ok, who doesn't get a little teary-eyed when peeps you like are all huggy and "goodbye" and you're all huggy and "see you later"? And I can say this without a shadow of a doubt: I hate hate hate getting weepy, number 1 and in front of people? I'd rather be subjected to waterboarding. So my goal is to enjoy the parties and the lunching and attempt to supress extreme emotional responses. Were you not aware that most Midwesterners are stoic to a fault? Actually, I'm pretty sure you knew that.

And for fuck's sake, I haven't even begun to make my rounds of "This will be the last beer I will drink here", "This will be the last Papa Keno's slice I will eat", "This will be the last taz mocha in the history of last mochas because there will never be another mocha like a taz mocha and there is no coffee in Dumb City, goddammit!". You get the pix.

I'm off to do some recycling and goodwilling and never-ending sorting, stuff I was probably supposed to do this weekend, but was otherwise pleasantly preoccupied.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really must learn to read your blog BEFORE I send you regular emails. Perhaps the "hello" partying at this end will make up for the "goodbye" partying at that end?

Wish I could see you cry ... ;-)
Love,

Mrs. Viv

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Howdy LN...how very sad. I know how you feel. I am though one of those cryibg huggy girls. I hate to do that...but at the same time I can't help it and I don't care who sees me. Just the thought iof your move...makes me want to cry. Damn it and I have a meeting in half an hour.
Like flipping a light switch I gotta get ready to kick some arse. I said give the mic to a woman, um the right woman and things would go smooth, but no. later...Hugs for you babes.

riese said...

I don't cry, I like to say "I can't wait to get away from you bitches" and throw things. Or be like "sorry, gotta go home and pack so I can get away from you bitches!" JK. (sorta)

Usually I start getting nervous about all these people who say we're going to stay in touch. I wanna be like "c'mon, be straight with me here...this is it."