8/25/2005

Ok, so it's imperfect

As I tried out my new mantra yesterday, I realized that it might not be as universally applicable as I thought:

At my dental appointment, I was unable to work it into the conversation (granted, my mouth was occupied a good deal of the time). I couldn't figure out whether I should direct the comment to my own teeth or towards the my dentist. So I struggled and ultimately ran out of time and opportunity. I suspect I should have gone with saying it to my teeth because in the end, I found out I needed a crown. In this case, Fancy let me down.

Then I called my gal friends to meet for a quick beer before my next apointment. Because they so readily agreed, I didn't get to use it. I wasn't even given a chance to be let down. I don't think it works well when things are going your way.

Next, I tried to work it in with my therapist (what? don't tell me I'm the only crazy one here). But then we got sidetracked with my stuff and I forgot about it completely. Apparently when you are in "life limbo", you're not so focused on using your new catch-phrase. So despite my best intentions, I have yet to actually utter my mantra. Yes, I let myself down. Did I not learn anything from Reba?

2 comments:

vivvy said...

Oh darling, don't feel too bad. It's been years since I uttered my mantra--courtesy, of course, of my motion picture bible, The Valley of the Dolls: "Sparkle, Neely, Sparkle!"

p.s. Give props to Bobbie Gentry, not Reba!

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Fancy that, I couldn't find any opportunities to use my mantra either. Like how many times can you corner a bad guy with a 357 magnum just an arms reach away from him. Sweat dripping from his eyebrows, while he looks you straight in the eyes. "Go ahead punk, make my day." I know it's old and stale, but I thought, maybe...just maybe it might catch on. Oh, the dreamer.