So, over the last, oh 15 years or so, I've developed this hate of Halloween. Not so much the actual day itself or the pumpkins or costumes. As a kid, I loved Halloween and (if I may brag a little) often won contests at elementary school because my mom made me such awesome costumes. One year I was the Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Helping Hand. Huge, huge chicken wire cloth covered thing that I had to hold up on my body. In the third grade. One year I was a butterfly wearing all black except for the wings, which were these huge poster board pieces with layers of different colored tissue paper between them and intricately cut out designs on the wings. (Yes, Mom was a talented craftswoman, a trait I sadly never developed...couldn't even finish a hook rug). One year in the fourth grade, I was a green dragon with a huge paper mache head and the body of it was a bunch of my classmates (except for Kim who puked right before the contest and we kicked her out of the suit -- I heard rumor that she's out in Hollywood now, big in the entertainment industry). I loved going trick or treating with the neighbor boys. We mapped out the entire town and X'd out the houses that gave out stupid popcorn balls or pennies. When we got home, we'd sort through the bounty and trade. Didn't we all do that as kids? Who didn't love Halloween?
Well, somewhere along the way as I grew up and started living on my own and it was at that point I began to despise Halloween. Specifically:I hate when little kids come to my door and ask for candy. Hello!? What is my problem? Have I turned into Grumpy Old Lady with the X'd out house who never turns on her lights or answers her door? Lordy, it's gotten so bady lately that I simply avoid even being home on Halloween. I just refuse to be there and have to deal. So tonight we're going out to dinner and a movie. Happy Halloween!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Poor Grumpy Old Lady....I hope your house doesn't get papered tonight!
I'm not that crazy about answering the door over and over on Halloween either...and part of that is because my dogs go crazy barking which drives me crazy...and so I have to keep them locked up until it's all over.
But to make the best of it...I see it as a good excuse to buy lots of candy I wouldn't ordinarily buy...and I eat a bunch of that until I'm pleasantly nauseated...and before I know it Halloween is over!
Oh babydoll...tsk,tsk! I love Halloween and guess what we did? We decorated the front porch Halloweenie with spiderwebs, spiders and bats. We even have scary sounds and music pumped to the front. I love to see the kids in their costumes. We are having a few friends over for eats and drinks. My gal will be a bitch...um, I mean a witch. I'm going as Zorro or should that be Zora. I think I can draw a thin mustache over my lip. I can speak Pocho, seeing that I am a Pocha. Mom (a Texan) once told me that was California Spanish. Hum, I think thats what my mother once told me. God my memory is starting to go. Anyway we have lots for the monsters, so I don't think we will be one of those x'd out houses....woooahhh!
I do know how you feel though. It was fab last year when we were on a cruise in the Eastern Bahamas this time last year. Now that is getting away, Huh?
Enjoy your dinner and movie. What movie are you going to see? Later babes.
I'd much prefer a cruise and my own bowl of candy to answering that damn door. Our dogs go crazy too.
We're going to see that Wallace and Grommet movie and I'm hoping all the kids are out trick or treating so I can enjoy my cartoon in peace. Bah Humbug! ;)
Hehehehe...Scroogie babes, you make me laugh. Don't forget to sit all the way to the back, that way you can makeout and get felt up. it sure made going to the movies lots more fun for me. Enjoy the flick and if not, there's Spiky's way. Enjoy.
Sweetie, I personally take responsibility for this. It was the year I dressed up as Orson Welles and you were a plate of Tuna Helper and I chased you across Jack Nicholson's lawn...I know that traumatized you to the point that you consider The Magnificent Ambersons a horror film...
Post a Comment