10/18/2005

Take the first shot, baby



So on Sunday, I went to see Amy Ray doing her solo thing, to see if the love was still there. Alas and alak, time seems to change everything and while she still rocks the boat, I can't say I'm all into the direction she's sailing. Her solo stuff leaves me uninspired, except for a few rare gems (like Laramie or Measure of Me), I think her creativity is better channeled through IG. Solo stuff feels too cliched or something, not sure what it is, but none of it resonates. I want Starkville or Don't Give that Girl a Gun or Hand Me Downs. Instead, it's Lucystoners. And cliche of lesbian cliche, Bitch opened with spoken word. I like the tradition of using song for political activism, but perhaps I've reached my limit or the music doesn't sound right. I don't need a queer anthem singer anymore, give me back my old skool angsty folk rockers.

No comments: