11/10/2007

I make such a good statistic

Oh man. So you know, it's been about 10 years since I last went to an Ani Difranco show. In dog years, that's like how old someone's grandma might be. Now some people I know/love dislike her, saying her voice is too affected and schticky. Other people I know think she's too not cool old skool like the Indigo Girls or Janis Ian or Chris Williamson or the 1800's lesbicon equivalent, whoever that is. And finally other peeps I know still dig her like I do. I say whatever floats or does not float a boat. So tonight when I saw her and her current band (including a very good/cute girl drummer which, hello, who doesn't love a girl drummer, I know I'm completely and totally in love with a much better and much cuter girl drummer so I'm not one to throw a stone), I had myself a nice time.

She played in Baltimore (one more parenthetical and I'm done here, but let me just say that Baltimore will forever/always hold a special place in my heart) at the Meyerhoff Hall (ok, not quite done but man, the ushers there are some serious hardasses about picture taking..I didn't bring my camera luckily b/c they were swooping in and snatching ppl left/right for minor infractions..the friend I went with was afraid to text on her phone for fear of its little light being spotted and resulting in an escort out - watch your back at the Meyerhoff FYI). Now where was I?

Oh yes. Remember those dog years? At what point did Ani's target audience become old and straight? Did I miss the memo? Granted, I'm sporting some gray around the edges, but hello, it was not that long ago when an Ani show was like total young baby dykes and punk chicks and like, drugs and booze and stuff. Seriously, the crowd tonight was the same type of crowd I've seen at a taping of that NPR's show Whaddyaknow? You know? I could not get over it. Doesn't anyone smoke dope at an Ani show anymore? I saw a show of hers once in Atlanta at which the contact high I received made me question whether my face was melting. It was not. The most whacked out element of the show tonight was some drunk girl who tried to dance near the stage and who was whisked away by those ushers faster than she had a chance to even slur out Both Hands, I love you Ani, woo.

What is even my point anymore? I don't know. She played Firedoor and Dilate and If He Tries Anything which made this old fan happy enough. It don't take much, yo.

With that, I'm outta here. Flying across the country on Monday to Cal(i) where I am sure of two things: bikini - small; heels - tall. Hmm, I don't think so.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Ani for the first (and only) time about 7 years ago. It was September of 2000 and I was one of those wee baby dykes you speak of. I was 17. The concert was in an outdoor stadium on the campus of the Seattle Center, a mere 600 or so feet from my beloved Key Arena, though I was yet to become a Storm fan.

I wasn't even the biggest fan at that point, but I had a great time. We got in early and everyone was running, running, running across the field (it happened to be a football field) to try and get up close. My gf and I ended up being about 5th row center, though it was hard to tell 'rows' when everyone was just squished together. I know that looking up she seemed larger than life.

And just as you said... drugs and booze... the joint passed by us a couple of times, but we were good kids and though I'd probably have obliged if offered, I'd yet to smoke in my life and didn't force the issue. A certain singer noticed what was goin' around, though, and commented "I've been out of the country for awhile, and this is what I love about America... everybody smokes pot, and everybody shares!"

She didn't have a girl drummer then though... yuuuum.

El N said...

3/60: Ah, the memories, huh? That Ani show in Atlanta was the beginning of the end of a rather intense relationship I had with this girl. I should have known things would not end well when I got there and her bed was still warm from the girl who had just left. Of course, back then, I used to be a superhero...

ps. I have something for you if you want it. The latest American Airlines inflight magazine has Suzanne discussing her favorite places in Seattle with pretty pix. Drop me a note if you want me to send it along..

vivvy said...

Sweetie, I turn my cyber back for one moment, and you start posting like a lunatic!

Don't remember if we ever had a convo about Ani, but I'm definitely not a fan. I know it is tantamount to having one's lesbian card revoked. Still, I am not ashamed!

p.s. You might want to schedule an appointment w/Paolo to take care of that gray.

riese said...

I still love Ani. I in fact clicked to open this post from my Google Reader without even seeing what it was about, because I was like "oo! I love that lyric!"

It's become sooooo uncool to love Ani, and people love openly disdaining her as well. Maybe it's just that it's become awfully hard to pull together a group of people willing to go these days.

I went to one concert and was kinda dissapointed -- Little Plastic Castle had just come out, it was a big theater outside of Detroit, it was hard to hear her sing over the horns. But, just for the record, I got good and stoned.

Anonymous said...

well...you know I'm a thumbs down on the Ani thing,
but this drummer character...remember I was kidnapped this summer and woke up at the Michigan Womyn's Festival?
I do believe she was drumming for a couple of the performers (Melissa Ferrick maybe...a few others maybe?)
I vaguely remember this...I also vaguely remember stumbling through the woods looking for Camp Trans and spending altogether too much time with Bitch.
I remember being told that perhaps the flagrant display of massive bottles of alcohol on the table might rankle the sensibilities of some of the other "sisters".
I remember wishing that I was lying in a field in Kansas...I remember feeling like the definition of "camping" had been impossibly stretched and that I was actually in a big city...just with extra port-o-lets....
But uh yeah...the drummer...she was good...
...I think...

El N said...

All I gotta say about Ani is don't playa hate, congratulate.

360: Will drop that in the mail when I get back, fo sho.

V: I have to make up for the fact that you post once a month these days, sweetie. What gives?

Win: I knew I could count on you to bring the old skool love.

thc: Why aren't you here with me? I miss you..