First up is a picture of a picture. As the caption on the back attests:
this will be a picture of my bedroom circa 1985. Behold:
Two things will jump out at you. First, you will be startled by the posters on the wall, for one is of Rob Lowe and the other is of John-Eric Hexum (who tragically shot himself and who is probably only remembered by me and his family). Please excuse - I was still young and clearly naive as evidenced by the fact that there is also a contingency of stuffed animals and a big piggy bank on my dresser. That whole Not A Girl/Not Yet A Woman thing going on apparently. Ah youth.
Next up is a videotape that makes me wish I still owned a VCR. I thought I had lost this, but I found it at my mom's house years ago mixed in with her tapes. I somehow doubt she watched it. My long-time love of Berlin the band is no secret.

The 'playlist' is classic, covet this at will if you must:
Here is what we wore back in the day when we didn't have Swatches. Someone across studyhall could tell the time off your wrist, it was that big. Like our hair. This was post parachute pants era but pre-neon. I think. I forgot to put my phone next to it so you would have some sense of scale, but trust me on the size. We were queens of size re: all things back then. Flava Flav saw my watch and asked for his own bling, but smaller.
We're now in the early 90's memento-wise and what could be more telling of my future than the two items below. Don't think I didn't have to fight off more than a few ladies with severe haircuts to catch this, my friends. Chicago 1993, first row, baby!
And finally, before it was splashed on the cover of People, I knew something was fishy. Ahem. This gal led a double-life as a young grad student in the early-mid 90's. Yep, I'm gay!

4 comments:
sweetie babes...I swear you kill me. I am going back in a time tunnel with you on this, I was born June of 74, after all.
Oh...the guitar pick is awesome. My Brit friend Mia was at a concert recently and sent me a sample of the show...he and g/f had front row seats too. I am so envious.
Berlin...yes...yes and yes. I just don't remember The Smiths. Is that odd or what? Oh well, better late than never. Thanks Vivvy.
I never suspected...never. Jodie Foster on the other hand, I just knew. I jumped for joy when it was rumored...as if I had a chance.
I wanted her to read poetry to me in French...just the two of us in my bedroom.
Sigh...where am I?
Back...back to 2008. Crap! hehehe
Ciao babes...I loved your post.
i took pictures of my room too -- Jared Leto. Et al.
The Indigo Girls guitar pic is past priceless and all the way into amazing and all the way back into priceless again.
Just for you, sweetie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UXtort76gY
szj: There's some video out there of a young Jodie singing a song in French..somewhat scary.
Win: It's even more priceless b/c it was Amy's pick, not Emily's. That increases its value in my book, old school holla.
Viv: Funny, I had a soldier sleeping next to me on the way home tonight. For real. Oh the meta on the Metro, sweetie..
Post a Comment