4/22/2008

I lost myself on a cool damp night

It's that time of year again.



These I found Sunday on a walk with the dogs through the new neighborhood. Growing up, we had this huge lilac bush in the backyard. I would always take a bunch that my mom cut to my elementary school teachers with their stems wrapped up in wet paper towels and aluminum foil. Yeah, brown-nosing the teachers, but I think secretly, I just liked smelling them on the walk to school. Unfortunately, the people who now live in our old house bulldozed that bush down, poured a bunch of concrete in the backyard and built a two car garage. I can hardly bear the thought, but putting my face in a bunch of purple flowers takes me back and that sweet smell will always be there.

I am off to Chicago tomorrow for the rest of the week so I'm sure there will be a shout-out Hi post from there.

1 comment:

vivvy said...

Weird--I was just listening to a remix of Nina Simone singing "Lilac Wine" before I read this...

Have a great time in Chi-town, sweetie.