6/27/2007

The Summer of Our Discontent

Man, this whole work thing is putting a cramp in my blogga.

Some quick housekeeping: My 20th high school reunion was, in two words, scary and fascinating. Only one perm spotted and a mullet thrown in for good measure. Speaking of the Metro (which I wasn't but will now for my one allotted Metro-bitch a week), I have found that the ragtime sounds of Squirrel Nut Zipper melt away the misery of the afternoon commute. Try it next time you are crammed into a red line car between Metro Center and Gallery Place with 300 of your closest friends in the summertime heat. Additionally, I thought I saw Chamique Holdsclaw riding the green line. For many reasons, I quickly decided that this was highly unlikely. Speaking of the WNBA, I will be attending the All-Star game in a couple of weeks because you know, Sue and LJ requested I be there (they always play better when I'm in the stands, what can I say). Finally, I cannot wait for the fucking weekend.

Now, a couple of you know this next bit, but really, what's the point in having a blog if you can't tell the whole world (ok, those 3 people from Iran, Nebraska, and Sri Lanka who regularly read this thing)? So as you may know, I moved out here with The Agent because she took a transfer. Remember how much I bitched? Yeah. Well, you know, sometimes when you have a big life change, things change big. For a variety of reasons that were present before and after this whole move, The Agent and I have separated. But of course, like good lesbians, we're still friends. So now we start the process of dividing all that shit that we moved out here. Good times! It's going to take a bit, I'll be looking for a place closer to this new job, etc etc. See, if you're going to break up with someone, wait until you've moved across country with them because it's so much more fun/easy. And then you can hear your friends/acquaintances/strangers say variations on a theme of why did you move in the first place/why didn't you break up before now/I knew this would happen/what are you going to do now. That's almost as fun. It could be worse though, I know. We're lucky in that this has been amicable.

So what am I going to do now? Well, I'm going to stay for a while and work and try to enjoy living here for a bit. Despite my reservations about this whole place, it's good to challenge oneself a bit and see how it goes. I know I won't be staying here forever, too many people and too much concrete, but while I'm here and have a good (if not my dream) job, I'm going to suck it up and be a good soldier. There are lots of great things here to do/see and when Hillary is president, she'll probably want to call on my services. I'm kind of her go-to gal, so you know, that's how we roll. Holla.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

*chuckle* That's what I said when I moved to New York "Oh yeah, I can deal with this crap - I'm not going to be here that long ..." *chuckle* That was, what, 13 years ago.

Just mildly mocking you ... ;-)

Mrs. Viv

vivvy said...

And then you can hear your friends/acquaintances/strangers say variations on a theme of why did you move in the first place/why didn't you break up before now/I knew this would happen/what are you going to do now.

I promise I'll shut up and next time we see/speak to each other I will not ask you about anything except your Brazilian wax and whether you want another martini.

p.s. Commuting does suck, but seriously if you can't stand the Metro, the NYC subway would EAT YOU ALIVE.

p.p.s. If ma patite missus can survive the concrete jungle, you can too, sweetie. Viva Squirrel Nut Zippers!

El N said...

Oh you two..always trying to make a city girl out of me!

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Sweetie...babes, I'm off to make the rounds. You know visit the relatives. Some I love and are dear to me. To the other...they can kiss my...What? Sorry, i'll cut back on the profanity.

Hey babes...I know what you mean. I love this little farm town but sometimes that big city calls to me.

I wish I could offer you a margarita or two...you have to keep up babes. Not to worry about driving babes, we'll get Paris to drive. Good times...babes, good times. Hey you think we can do the jail party thing. Paris will be our prison bitch...okay. Ciao babes. See you in a week.

riese said...

[riese hangs up phone with ex's brother regarding the dichotomy of ex's aggro desire to threaten death and stalking if a particular item, which she purposely left here for this purpose, is not returned vs. ex's apparent recent declaration of refusal to return my jeans and my favorite bra that made my breasts look really cute, which she took, and did NOT leave here on purpose just to have a reason to harass me, which belong to meeeeeeee]

Hi. All of us here in Sri Lanka are sorry to hear of your breakup. You sound very level-headed and it's good that you'll still be friends. And how awful to be all the way over there in a new place as this all happens ... I send you love/sympathy ...