Awww, I just had a sharp, sudden pang for those humid Hoosier summer nights. We don’t have lightening bugs out west. Or that much honeysuckle, for that matter. I miss both. Step out onto the back porch at my parents’ house and you are greeted by your own private fireworks show and perfumed by the sweet smell of honeysuckle. Sigh.
Ms Snarker: I hear you, these things will forever be associated with growing up in Indiana: fireflies, honeysuckle, cicadas, lilacs, peonies, popcorn sold in small white bags at baseball games in the park, crawdads, and knee-high- by-the-4th-of-July corn. I'm headed back there two times this month and will soak up some extra Hoosier love and send some way out west to you.
howdy babes...first I saw a firefly I was sitting on a fold out chair outside our motor home (the family vacay thingy)one mid-July summer day. It was at an RV park across the street from Graceland. I loved Beale street and at night it gives hint to danger, which gathered me in without hesitation. Sweetie...on the pric of Diet Pepsi, I can buy 3-12pack boxes foor $9.00 almost about any where I go in the west coast. Coke products are lots more. I am not a Pepsi/Diet Pepsi drinker, Diet 7up for me but I never wake until I have consumed at least one cup of coffee.
And yet in Central PA we also had: "fireflies, honeysuckle, cicadas, lilacs." You Indiana people just think the sun rises and sets on your asses. ;-) Could it be as children we just tend to notice them more than as adults? Or could it be that moving to a big, stinky city makes you forget all that?
Tam, I was going to come in here and ask if that stinky city of yours had finally removed your sense of romance and nostalgia! Alas, your apology makes me think you still feel a little Hoosier love ;)
Nah, you know I just really hated Indiana so much that my disgust rises up whenever anyone praises that silly state. I love Hoosiers ... I just hate the Hoose ....
7 comments:
Awww, I just had a sharp, sudden pang for those humid Hoosier summer nights. We don’t have lightening bugs out west. Or that much honeysuckle, for that matter. I miss both. Step out onto the back porch at my parents’ house and you are greeted by your own private fireworks show and perfumed by the sweet smell of honeysuckle. Sigh.
Ms Snarker: I hear you, these things will forever be associated with growing up in Indiana: fireflies, honeysuckle, cicadas, lilacs, peonies, popcorn sold in small white bags at baseball games in the park, crawdads, and knee-high- by-the-4th-of-July corn. I'm headed back there two times this month and will soak up some extra Hoosier love and send some way out west to you.
howdy babes...first I saw a firefly I was sitting on a fold out chair outside our motor home (the family vacay thingy)one mid-July summer day. It was at an RV park across the street from Graceland. I loved Beale street and at night it gives hint to danger, which gathered me in without hesitation.
Sweetie...on the pric of Diet Pepsi, I can buy 3-12pack boxes foor $9.00 almost about any where I go in the west coast. Coke products are lots more.
I am not a Pepsi/Diet Pepsi drinker, Diet 7up for me but I never wake until I have consumed at least one cup of coffee.
And yet in Central PA we also had: "fireflies, honeysuckle, cicadas, lilacs." You Indiana people just think the sun rises and sets on your asses. ;-) Could it be as children we just tend to notice them more than as adults? Or could it be that moving to a big, stinky city makes you forget all that?
Wow, that sounded much snarkier than I intended it to. I apology to all.
Tam
Tam, I was going to come in here and ask if that stinky city of yours had finally removed your sense of romance and nostalgia! Alas, your apology makes me think you still feel a little Hoosier love ;)
Nah, you know I just really hated Indiana so much that my disgust rises up whenever anyone praises that silly state. I love Hoosiers ... I just hate the Hoose ....
Tam
Post a Comment