12/16/2006

They do

Tomorrow (Sat) I am going to a very casual commitment/marriage ceremony for two young lesbian friends of mine. They're doing a simple exchange of vow type thing tomorrow and then having a blow-out party on New Years Eve. M is the cutest little pastry chef ever and makes the most delicious pumpkin cheesecake - she is quite funny and we laugh and laugh. Her gf is very cool and laid back. They work well together so it's nice to see. Of course, since this is the Ruby Red State, there is no legal recognition, but no reason for that to stop anyone, I say. They plan to have it at a park downtown where they shared their first joint together. Awwww, how sweet! Those crazy kids! I'm really happy for them.

Also, one of my ex-gfs is getting married married in Mass next March. Of the legal variety. We laughed at the fact that they had even hired an actual wedding planner. I met her gf when I visited them this past May and loved her. Both of them are doctors who met in med school and are living this crazy busy life in this tiny apartment in Boston but man, are they happy. Yay for them! We're definitely going and I'm excited.

So all these gay weddings. And the whole gay marriage thing. You know, I definitely think it should be universally legal in every state. I want that as an option and I want all the rights and benefits that other people are able to have. Simple equality and all that business. We all know the politics involved etc etc. But you know what? I want marriage as an option, but I don't think I would ever get married. Personally, it just would not be something I would do. I don't know. I understand the whole 'we don't need a piece of paper' excuse people make - I've used it myself -but sometimes, I think that's just a cop out. Am I leery of that kind of legal entanglement? Yes. Afraid of making such a big commitment? Maybe. Child of divorce? You bet! I say if you've got commitment issues, you buck up and admit them. But hello, that's what therapy is for, and after you get your shit together, you should damn well have the option to follow through and fly or fail at that whole marriage thing, gay or straight.

You know, it's really only a matter of time, you can't stop progress. I mean, come on, if New Jersey has the right idea, how far can the rest of us be behind? Hoboken or bust, baby!

2 comments:

vivvy said...

You seem to conveniently forget that, in the eyes of Albania, we are still legally married. We drank from the goatskin and jumped over the naked shepardess and everything.

El N said...

That was until I found out that you were so very not a virgin. I sold you at the market in Marrakesh and would have lost you had the donkey not broken down.