You'll remember my friend, the Algerian Fool, who lives down in New Orleans now. To say that he is a very unique character is actually kind of an understatement. I've known him almost 15 years now and the boy is like a brother to me. A foolish sometimes drunken, very talkative, and prone to leaving poetry in his French accent on my voice mail at 4am kind of brother, true, but a good guy to me nonetheless. We have shared some good camping situations over the years and have cooked some awesome meals to be sure.
(Yes, we have kissed, but that was long long ago when I was very young and less clued into the fact that he really really wasn't my type. 10 years after that, I set him up with my very good friend L and they're still going strong today. She is very patient.)
Well, he is currently in town for a couple of weeks on the occasion of his grandmother's passing so we went camping last night out at the lake. My other friend, J, joined us and we had a nice time sitting by the fire and checking out the stars. I took the Baby Dog and she was running all over smelling stuff and getting in the water. We had a pretty large fire most of the night so that was good because it was a little nippy...got down to around 25 or so I think. J and the Fool were drinking their beverages of choice and I (still more or less on the wagon) had some water and hot chocolate. It's very hard to sit in front of a camp fire and not drink, but it is do-able. I have found that I sleep a lot better camping when I haven't been drinking so that is one benefit. Last night, however, I did not sleep very well b/c the Fool was fucking with the fire and mumbling most of the night in French and my feet were cold. We ended up hanging out there enjoying the day until this afternoon when J and I came back in to town and left the Fool out there. I'm going to go get him tomorrow. He is a fool for staying out another night, but this is not a new thing.
ETA: It is supposed to rain so he is having second thoughts and I might have to go out and get his ass shortly. Yeah, this is very typical Algerian Fool behavior.
12/19/2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh...that's sad that your friends grand mother passed away.
I'm so very proud of you...water, hot chocolate is good, too. I don't drink that often. I did enough of that while in high school and college. I just don't have the desire anymore and usually end up nursing it. Does that mean I'm becoming an responsible adult?
I wish you and the agent, a wonderful Christmas. Later baby doll.
Post a Comment