A couple of things...
First, Death Cab's song What Sarah Said is going through my head today like nobody's business. I'm stuck on the phrase "just nervous pacers bracing for bad news". It's not like it's particularly relevant right now to me or anything, but who can say why songs lodge in one's head and stay awhile.
Second, the weight of the impending move is starting to fall on me and my friends here. I suspect they are still a little disbelieving that I will actually go, but I already have heard in my own head things like "This might be the last time I..." and that makes it real for me. When I finished grad school, I left here for a job out on the east coast and I had the same 'last time' feeling. I'm really very much the type of person who likes to stay grounded someplace solid, so there's always a bit of me that's apprehensive about moving away from what I have grown to consider home. I've almost lived here longer than I lived back home in IN. That's why I'm trying to incorporate my Embrace Change resolution/mantra. Change is necessary, it will be an adventure, DC will be very cool, etc. Still there's the letting go and that has started and I'm doing my best not to freak out. My friend A has already gotten all sobby on me and we're still two months from departing. So I'm doing about a million things, job hunting from half the country away, pondering what shit we can/cannot take, etc etc. Whatever. Ok, done with that for now. I hope I don't get all (any more?) whiny on here about this and if I do, you're cleared to shoot.
Third, I am happy to report that my folliculitis of the nose is clearing up nicely so thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I think Miss Snarker's concern put us over the top and we reached our goal of raising greater awareness of the dangers of placing objects within one's nose. If only one person learns a lesson through my sacrifice, I feel my job here is done.
(Confidential to Vivvy: Speaking of my touch with all things medical, I will always remember with fondness the time I extracted a small Egyptian urn from one of your orifi after we finally fled Alexandria, sweetie. I was leery of your smuggling operation, but you insisted you had the ..capacity.. for greatness in those days. Greatness indeed, darling. Partial credit to the Mrs for expanding your horizons so thoroughly!)
Finally, it is with sadness that I must report the passing of Little Billy. You may recall that a friend of mine has a goat farm. At our New Year's Day thing, they broke the news of his passing and it was a gruesome death I am sad to say. Apparently, the bigger one, Scroat Billy, and Little Billy had gotten together in the same pen and by some twist of fate, Scroat Billy got his horns hooked into the harness around Little Billy's neck and chest..the harness that puts paint on the backs of the Nannies after they have successfully "made magic" together. The result was apparently neck twisty and bloody *sigh* We drank one for Little Billy and one for our homies.
Peace out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I understand your reluctance to leave friends and the security of a known place. I also share such a need for security. But having gone through a similar, perhaps less drastic move, from Philly to New York, I can assure you that you'll find new friends and that eventually the DC area will feel like home. Particularly when me and the Mrs. start making weekend jaunts to visit you and the Agent ...
Mrs. Viv
Change is good, change is (sometimes) hard. But let me cut the palaver and get all MTM on your ass: You're gonna make it after all!
Oh, by the by, I'm already planning your wine cellar.
I knew I could count on you two to help make my transition from a proper Midwestern girl to drunken East Coast whore that much easier. Thanks, Mary!
Post a Comment